When you are at the movies the aroma of popcorn hits you as soon as you walk though the door. For many people, the experience of going to the movies includes popcorn, soda, and candy. These high calorie treats could be scarier than the next blockbuster horror flick! With a little planning, you can still enjoy a yummy snack that doesn’t sabotage your diet.
You may wonder just how bad a tub of popcorn could be. On average, a large popcorn (which contains 20 cups) contains approximately 100 grams of fat- the equivalent of more than six fast food hamburgers. With about 1,300 calories, that large popcorn packs almost a full day’s supply of calories for the average dieter.
If you have more of a sweet tooth chocolate bars and boxes of candy might be your downfall. Although you may think that you are able to eat only half of a candy bar in actuality it is very difficult at the movies. Studies show that while watching television or a movie people tend to consume more calories because they are distracted. If you bring health pre-portioned snacks to the movies you will not have to worry about over eating. The best way to avoid temptation at the theater is to eat a balanced meal beforehand full of lean protein and fiber rich carbohydrates. This will keep you satisfied for several hours.
One way to enjoy a treat at the movies without destroying your waistline is to bring your own snacks from home. Here are some health alternatives you can choose:
• Bottles water, club soda, or crystal lite
• Flavor and Fiber Gnu bar or Chocolite Protein Bar
• Dry cereal: Fiber One, Kashi Go Lean or Puffins
• Low fat mozzarella string cheese
• Orville Redenbacher’s 100 calorie mini bags
• 1oz pistachios
• Baby carrots or Sliced Peppers
• Fruit such as apples, strawberries, raspberries
• Emerald coco roasted almonds 100 calorie pack
• Shelled, salted edamame
• A mix of almonds, raisins, & mini marshmallows
• Jicama matchsticks, tossed with lime juice & chili powder
• Frozen red or green grapes
Going to the movies is a social experience-and that means eating for many people. But you don’t have to miss out on the fun just because you’re watching your diet. By bringing your own portion-controlled snacks from him the only things you’ll be missing are the inches you’ll lose from your waist!