It’s hard to believe that the kids are heading back to school already! At least while they are in school there is that small sigh of relief knowing that they are safe. It’s getting to & from that always makes me a little nervous. We are extra cautious at the beginning of the year & with the little ones when they start out but as the year goes by maybe we don’t pay as much attention as we once did. Here are some simple reminders & tips.
- Will your child be walking or riding a bike to school this year?
ü Make the trip with them a couple of times so you are both comfortable with the route.
- Time how long it takes for them to travel each way; walking or riding.
ü This gives you an idea what time they should arrive A.M. & P.M.
ü If they have a cell phone ask them to call/text when they leave & arrive both ways.
- If there is another child in the neighborhood going to the same school, try to arrange for them to travel together. There is safety in numbers.
- Point out “safe places” for them along the way (if there are any) in case of an emergency.
- Will your children be riding the bus this year?
ü Make sure they are familiar with the bus number. It’s better to miss a bus & remain at school with adults that can help instead of taking the wrong one & nobody knows where you are.
- Wait in a group at the bus stop.
ü Don’t ever leave the group to walk up to a car that approaches.
- Never allow your child to “ride” with anyone unless they are on your “safe list”.
ü A safe list tells your child the ONLY people they should ever go with if it’s not you.
- Communicate! If your child is expressing concern or feeling uncomfortable find out why & take action.
Have a safe and memorable school year!
Tracy Vega-Owner Simple Self Defense for Women