Why is it that we don’t check in air in our spare tire until we get a flat tire? We don’t consider buying an alarm for our house until after someone tries to break in and we usually don’t think about our personal safety until we are put in a bad situation.
As women we juggle many hats every day. We are mom, wife, date, daughter, etc… We always make sure that everyone else is happy and safe and very rarely stop to think about our own personal safety.
Here are the most common mistakes women make:
1. We don’t listen to our instincts.
- Women’s instincts are usually spot-on. If you think something isn’t right, it’s probably not. Trust that voice!
2. We are too nice to everyone.
- We were brought up to not be rude to anyone. If you are uncomfortable or feel like you are in danger it’s ok to be rude, you can always apologize.
3. We don’t practice what we preach!
- How many times have you told your kids to be careful, don’t talk to strangers, walk in a group. Do you do everything you tell your kids & family to do?
4. We don’t tell someone if we are in an abusive relationship.
- Trust your friends, confide in someone & get help before the situation escalates.
5. We post too much personal information on social media.
- Would you tell a perfect stranger where you live, your phone number, how old you are, that you are single & your house is empty tonight because you are on a blind date?
- Limit what you are telling the world.
6. We are not aware of our surroundings.
- We get so caught up in our phone, computers, and text messages that we put ourselves at risk. Bad guys are looking for easy targets. Pay attention!
The safety tips in this article and many others can be found on our Simple Self Defense for Women DVD. Please visit our website www.simpleselfdefenseforwomen.com for more details.
Tracy & Charley Vega, Co-Founders- Simple Self Defense for Women